BSCI – Business Social Compliance Initiative
The “Business Social Compliance Initiative“ (BSCI) is a non-profit-organization, which was founded in 2002 by leading corporations and the Foreign Trade Association (FTA) in Brussels.
The objective of BSCI is to provide for socially responsible conduct in the global supply chains of European commercial enterprises, and to continuously improve upon it.
The system is based on the so-called BSCI Code of Conduct, the requirements of which are based on the conventions of the International Labour Organization (ILO), the declaration of human rights of the UN, as well as other UN conventions about the rights of children and against any forms of discrimination of women, the UN Global Compact and the OECD guidelines for multi-national enterprises.
Content-wise the Code of Conduct refers to the adherence to laws, the freedom of association and the right to collective bargaining, the prohibition of discrimination, wages, working hours, health and safety at the workplace, the prohibition of child labor, the prohibition of forced labour and disciplinary measures, environmental and safety concerns, as well as the management system. With their signature on the Code of Conduct, suppliers agree to adhere to these requirements.
Independent assessments serve to document adherence to third parties, as well. IQNet Association has been recognized by BSCI to conduct these assessments according to BSCI. Organizations working according to the BSCI Code of Conduct stand to benefit from the constantly increasing demand of consumers and purchasers.
Benefits for commercial enterprises and their suppliers:
- Numerous leading commercial enterprises employ BSCI
- Uniform method for achieving conformity for socially responsible working methods
- Improved competitive position for suppliers
- Demonstrated commitment of all parties to improve working conditions
- Increased confidence of commercial enterprises in suppliers after implementation of ethical working methods
- Transparency and confidence through independent assessments
Benefits for employees:
- Improved morale
- Fair, safe, and equitable working environment
- Improved working conditions